Location: cambridge, Massachusetts
Job Category: Other Area(s)
We’re looking for a Design Researcher with 5+ revelant UX/design research experience conducting formative and summative user research. The ideal candidate is proactive, diligent, and driven, ready to hit the ground running in a fast-paced healthcare environment.
The Design Researcher will work with a small collaborative team and will help to inform design solutions by testing concepts, solutions, and marketing materials with primary users. Key responsibilities include prepping for and conducting user testing on Foundation Medicine products and collateral; synthesizing user perceptions and needs; sharing findings and insights with internal stakeholders; and helping to iterate upon experiences with current products and brand materials. The individual will collaborate closely with designers, product managers, and developers, acting as a key user advocate to ensure that user perspectives are front and center when honing in on design decisions.
Required Skills / Experience
- Demonstrable experience employing a variety of methods to answer targeted research questions.
- Familiarity and comfort running user testing from start to finish with limited guidance; this includes recruiting participants, creating research protocols and prototypes, conducting testing, analyzing and synthesizing data, and developing insights to help guide design decisions.
- Keen observational and active listening skills along with a healthy dose of empathy.
- An ability to dissect problems and ask the right questions, constantly digging deeper to uncover underlying meaning.
- Expertise in design thinking and UX fundamentals including: strategy, research, usability, and rapid iteration and prototyping.
- Strong communication and storytelling skills, with extensive experience collaborating on cross-disciplinary teams and effectively sharing findings and insights.
- Ability to create deliverables that support the work effort (e.g., journey maps, workflows, service blueprints, wireframes, and sketches).
Additional Desired Skills
- Expertise with design and rapid prototyping tools (InDesign, Sketch, Invision, etc.?).
- Experience conducting generative, exploratory research leading to the development of frameworks and personas/archetypes.
- Experience working with designers and developers.
- The willingness to take risks and fail fast.
- Experience working in healthcare with awareness of inherent challenges.
· Background in the Social Sciences (e.g., Psychology, Anthropology), HCI, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
· Scientific background a plus, but not required.
· MS or advanced degree a plus, but not required.
If you are passionate about genuinely representing the user voice and experience, please respond with your resume and cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working with our team.