Location: Chelsea, MA
About the Role:
We are looking for a Data Analyst to help us put to best use the vast treasure trove of data. As a Data Analyst, you will be tasked with using the state’s data to deliver efficient and effective government services and to help us make smarter, data-driven public policy decisions. Your work will help improve the lives of residents, businesses, and institutions. At the forefront of data analytics and public policy, you will tackle new and meaningful challenges every day.
• Design and develop metrics, analyses, reports, and dashboards to support decision-making and operations across state government; employ a variety of statistical and other software applications, graphics tools, and business intelligence (BI) applications to analyze results, evaluate performance, and project future trends and needs.
• Support the design, development, and implementation of data-sharing efforts across offices and agencies; work with team members and outside departments to access data for ongoing projects and other business intelligence needs.
• Support the development of public-facing data analytics and reporting.
• Research and report on data-management best practices, including in the areas of governance, storage, privacy, and reporting.
• Develop and maintain relationships with outside departments and agencies; work with team members to build communities of practice around data use.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• A minimum of two (2) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional experience in public or business administration, or a related field, in work that included data analysis, reporting, and visualization, using languages and software such as Python, R, SQL, VBA, and Tableau or other BI tools.
• A bachelor’s degree in public policy, public administration, statistics, computer science, or a related field is preferred and may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.
• Demonstrated interest in public policy or administration; experience in a government setting desirable.
• Strong analytics and critical thinking skills; demonstrated ability to organize and synthesize large datasets and to use data to identify patterns and problems and formulate solutions.
• Experience with structured and unstructured data formats including csv, txt, json, and xml.
• Experience with basic applied statistical techniques.
• Ability to produce consistently high-quality output under strict deadlines.
• Ability to communicate methods and findings verbally, in writing, and visually to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Capable of working both independently, with direction, and as part of a diverse, multi-skilled team.
• Capable of advancing multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
• Strong intellectual curiosity; demonstrated drive to master new skills, systems, and subject matter.