Database Platform Architect
Location: Westborough, MA
As part of the ITS Infrastructure Services organization, the Platform Services team is looking for a database platform architect with a strong knowledge of Cloud database services (AWS, Azure, GCP) and open source DB technologies, like PostgreSQL and MySQL in particular.
The Database Platform Architect is responsible for analyzing business needs, defining the architecture for and participating in the delivery of technical solutions to complex business and technical requirements using database platforms like MySQL and PostgreSQL relational DB. He/she will deliver insight to the latest technologies and platform deployment techniques. The Database Platform Architect will work with a broad range of stakeholders across the Infrastructure Services organization to design, integrate and deliver database infrastructure related solutions to support all ITS business applications.
He/she provides guidance in onboarding new database technologies and working with reference architectures which contain a mix of hybrid cloud, on premise hosting, private and public cloud, and edge computing platforms. The ideal candidate would have proven experience with enabling and architecting DB solutions in a public/hybrid cloud including but not limited to provisioning, configuration, migration from on premise to the cloud (particularly Oracle to PostgreSQL and SQL Server to MySQL), resource optimization with metered instances and day-to-day operations.
- Lead architecture design of open source database solutions, particularly for the transformation or refactoring of on-premise application databases, to open source databases in the public/hybrid cloud. The focus will be on migration of applications off premise, and not as much with new applications.
- Participate in enhancements to the Open Source DB service and platform including provisioning process, configuration, monitoring definition, backup and recovery strategy, and security.
- Work closely with our Operations Service Delivery partner to perform knowledge transfer (KT) training to Level2 and Level3 staff, support and optimize DB infrastructure.
- Responsible to support business projects directly, and be responsive to Developers, who expect rapid response with a DevOps mind-set.
- Knowledge of the features and architectural design of PostgreSQL and MySQL on Amazon Aurora, as well as RDS.
- Experience with AWS SCT and DMS services, and other cloud migration tools.
- Expertise with AWS data warehousing options, such as Redshift is a plus.
- Understanding of UNIX/Linux architecture, AWS EC2, tools and shell scripting, including Lambda on AWS.
- Good awareness of Cloud network structures such as VPC’s, VPN’s, subnets, etc.
- 3+ yrs. experience with AWS RDS, Azure or GCP cloud database services.
- 5+ yrs. experience with SQL Server 2008 and above.
- 5+ yrs. experience with Oracle 11g and 12c.
- Experience with DB disaster recovery/business continuity and DB replication implementation using SQL AlwaysOn,
DB mirroring and Cloud geo-redundancy solutions.
- Experience with Backup & Recovery techniques, database cloning, database refresh techniques.
- Experience with Cloud Monitoring like AWS CloudWatch, Oracle 12c Cloud Control, BMC Tools like BPPM, a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, engaging peers and other departments to accomplish assigned goals and effectively manage projects in a cross-functional environment.
Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, or a like area of studies.
AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate, or some like area of Cloud Architect Certification.